Aug 17, 2011

Camiguin Island || Day 2

Before going any further, check out Day 1 if you haven't yet or go ahead and skip to Day 3.


Travel Forecast: R&R = Rested and Ready


Weekends at Bahay Bakasyunan would mean a buffet breakfast that starts 7:00-7:30 in the morning. Everyone was up early: brewed coffee, scrambled egg, sausage, ham, juice, a second serving and  I am set.


If I see this every waking day, I ain't complaining. Mantigue Island

Travel Itinerary:  Most tourist spots here in Camiguin require either an entrance or environmental fee. Ranging between Php 10-50 per head.

1. Mantigue Island - Php 50.00 Environmental Fee

Port to Mantigue
It was a 30 min boat ride from this port to Mantigue, add another 15 minute transfer from Bahay Bakasyunan to this port.


Presenting, Mantigue Island
It was blazing hot, and the sand seems to wanna steal the show. It's as white as when my mama bleached my clothes but not as fine when she pinched me after I got it all dirty :) Ok, point is, this sand is a blinding white color under the sun. I wish it had a finer texture, 'cause I cannot run around without any slippers on. There are patches of greens at random spots, and(sharp) slivers of seashells almost everywhere.


Smoke-Free Island. And most other tourist spots in Camiguin
The water was calling and I gave in, and soon after, I can "hear" my flesh sizzle and burn under the intense heat, forgot to put on some sunblock :D


who wants to play ball?
Blue, green and white. Such is the color of nature. After a good dip, we retreated to the park, paid the Php 50/person environmental fee and learned that we can snorkel not far from the shore at their Marine Sanctuary. Our boat ride has already been paid for by the resort as part of our tour package which I believe is about Php 500-600. A ride to the Marine Sanctuary would be an additional Php 200. Off we go.


Mantigue Tourist Information and where you pay the environmental fee.
This is a nice shaded place with a mini store, a few wooden tables, and some pretty cool bamboo swings which fit all 6 of us. There's also some locals who'd offer to guide you further inside the park to see the wildlife, I think.
:D
Enough of that, let's take a peak underwater shall we?




Our free diving boatman (show off!), pointing to one of  the many giant clams in the sanctuary

Every spot has their own charm, but this underwater scene isn't one of them. Not complaining, just saying :D


2. Giant Clam Nursery - Php 25.00 Entrance Fee if you just want to view the lab or what they call as the "dry" activities.


Clams Laboratory Area
I fell in love with the kids here. The nursery promotes not just the preservation of marine life particularly giant clams now sadly, tagged as endangered species, but also to spread the word and  educate everyone starting with the children who acts as guides and spokesperson to every visitors and explain with such gusto and technicality that they lost me at hello. LOL Scientific words are beyond my mental capacity, my bad kids, but seriously you were great!


protected clams
Ok now, proceed with caution...


What?! This is beyond absurd! LOL
What have they been doing at this place I wonder? To warrant such a huge sign hangin' above the doorway of the souvenir shop, just directly across the Clams Lab Area. Anyways, you can also snorkel and go clam viewing in the sea-nursery which you have to pay for an additional fee.


3. J&A Fishpen


Is the most popular seafood restaurant in the city. It's actually part of our itinerary, I believe most tourists  if not all, have been to this place at least once during their stay in Camiguin.


neat looking tricycle...






entrance to the resto
the fishpen
the fishpen with the fishman LOL he's got our crab!
hello there crab, may I eat you now?
need to polish my food photography skills cause I suck! LOL
Don't forget to order their Buko shake, I had two. So yeah, its pretty good :) We shelled about Php 500 each (group of 6) for lunch.


4. Katibawasan Falls - Php 15.00 Entrace Fee


I heard loud squeals soon as we got in. From the sound of it you'd think someone was gutting them, but apparently it was because the water was freezing cold LOL


Katibawasan Falls
And they had every right! We took a dip and each step forward took time, a lot of it. I thought I'd be numb by the time I got near the falls but no, heck no, I was hurting LOL But you'll get used to it.  A group had some booze with them, why didn't we think of that?! So there's an idea for ya :)
I was silently cursing: why, why is it so cold down here? LOL
There are a few stalls right outside Katibawasan Falls selling some snacks, and I immediately gravitated towards our driver who was enjoying his Kiping. Yes, I felt no shame at all as I asked what he was eating and If I can take a bite LOL
Kiping - Php 10.00/pc
 Don't ignore this sweet wonder. You'll regret it. It is made of Cassava with a sweet "coco jam" like syrup drizzled on top. 


5. Ardent Hot Spring - Php 30.00 Entrance Fee


It's like a 3 level pool with varying water temperature. So don't get confused if one minute the water is warm, then the next its like your back in Katibawasan Falls. 
2nd Level pool, those mini falls are from the pool above
Upper Level. I believe its 6-7ft deep so I didn't even bother.
And that's it for Day 2. I have to say, I'm loving the hot and cold, salt and fresh water twist in our trip. The best of both worlds :)


Ta-ta :D

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...