Aug 16, 2011

Camiguin Island || Day 1

DestinationCamiguin Island via Cagayan De Oro City
Location: Mindanao
When: June 25 - 28, 2011
Departure from Manila: 12:20 pm


Travel Forecast: One word, SANDBAR!


THE Sandbar. White Island.

I've read mixed reactions about this ridge of sand. Been to quite a few beaches (locally) myself and I know how the shore or Beach Profile (as wikipedia calls it) is heavily affected by the season due to the waves and what it brings with it. On a different season, this can be a seaweed infested island, but not during our visit. The month of June, aside from being the start of the school year, is also the beginning of the "Rainy or Wet" season.


This also means, less people going to the beach (and having it all to yourself "evil grin"), because you just won't know when a storm will hit. But...we decided to take a risk and booked a flight to Cagayan De Oro, one of the portals to Camiguin. 


On the day of our flight, there's still a storm hovering over Manila (for almost a week already) and I've been checking Camiguins weather forecast everyday! Talk about paranoid. It still says the sky is clear with some light drizzle, and I'm a believer (fingers and toes crossed tightly).


Manila sky upon take-off 
Happy enough that our flight wasn't cancelled, but I was silently praying for a better weather in Camiguin. And absurd as it may sound, I cannot contain myself when I felt a warm ray of light peak through the plane window. Silly I know, but I had to take a photo :)


Oh dear sun, so glad you made it!
For those who are planning to visit and are doing some research check out http://camiguinguide.webs.com/gettingtocamiguin.htm for tips on how to get to Camiguin. But basically, our travel time from CDO to the resort was about 4 hrs.


As for our group, we got a package from Bahay Bakasyunan Resort (bahaybakasyunan.com), which I talked about in a separate post.


Pump boat to Camiguin
Yes I know, why a pump boat when it should have been a much bigger ferry right? 


Well, our flight was delayed, and our ride to the port has been waiting for almost an hour.  With the 2.5 hr land transfer from CDO to Balingonan Port, there's just no way we can possibly make it on time for the last ferry trip. Neil of Bahay Bakasyunan immediately called me upon arriving in CDO to provide options, either stay in CDO for a night then leave early the next day, OR (which was our obvious choice) get on a smaller pump boat to Camiguin.


So you see, timing is everything. With multiple transfers, I suggest you take a much earlier flight to CDO.


Anyways, pump boats aren't really new to me. I've been in this kind of situation before (going to Bantayan Island, and in the same way, left Manila during a storm and was greeted by humongous waves that nearly capsized us).  I was afraid that the boat operators does not have any life vest on board (and I was right). But still, we all agreed that its fine, since the waves wasn't so crazy. I hope. The boat ride costs Php 1,800 for a group of 6.
The sunset, softly illuminating Camiguin Island along the horizon.
They were thoughtful enough to keep our stuff dry and suggested we place them in plastic bags, I just wished they had bigger ones that could fit us, 'cause we didn't survive the onslaught of the waves. All is well though as midway during the ride the sea finally calmed down, and we had the front row seat as a jolly pod of Dolphins passed by. Uhhmazing!!! I was so mesmerized, and completely forgot...no photo :(


So, 1.5 hr by plane, 2 hrs by van, an hour by boat and we still aren't there yet LOL 30 more mins from the port to the resort. It got dark so fast, but when we finally arrived, I'd say it was all worth it. Take note, this was just after seeing Bahay Bakasyunan's lobby! LOL (I'm easy HAHA)


It just felt so, peaceful. I guess after such a crazy day, it was a welcome retreat.
enjoying our welcome drinks, while we were soaking wet
Dinner at the resorts resto:


dining area
I don't wanna go to bed yet, so I thought I'd visit the game room.


Game room...
Take your pick: Billiards, Table Tennis or Darts. I immediately went for the cue stick :D With an iced cold beer on the other hand, getting my alcohol fix :D


Cheers to Day 1! 


Ta-ta :D


Wanna find out about Day 2 and Day 3

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...